Monday, December 8, 2014

Camp Isn't A Major... Or Is It?

Hello to all of my fellow camp counselors and staff!

As many of you know, I'm currently in my senior year of college. When I decided that I would strive for a career in camp, I found myself in an interesting position. How do you prepare yourself for a career through higher education, when there is no undergraduate program in it? I will be graduating with a Bachelors of Science in Equine Science and a minor in Business Administration. Not exactly camp, but there could be some parallels. However, I've found several ways to supplement a higher education, and prepare myself for my career. Here are a few of my experiences.

Elective Classes
Every major leaves room for at least a few elective classes. Make these count! A few of the classes that I've taken as electives are;
 Introduction to Psychology
 Adolescent Development
 Abnormal Psychology
Child Exceptionality and Psychopathology
Methods in Coaching
Marketing Technology
 Advertising
 I felt that these were classes that would be applicable to my camp career, and I found all of them to be very fun, engaging classes.

Minor
You should be passionate about your major! You should love it and feel connected to it! And a minor is a great way to supplement your major with more information in another field. Camp is a business, and my business minor has given me a great introduction into business law, marketing, management, accounting and finance. 

Get Out Of The Classroom
Gaining life experience is one of the most valuable parts of college! Are you interested in working in adventure based camps? Get involved in an outdoors club! Want more experience with different age groups? Find jobs babysitting, working in preschools or local after school programs! 

Stay Connected With The ACA
Keep up-to-date with whats going on in the American Camp Association. I'm a huge fan of the message boards, they're a great place to discuss camp with others. Look through their articles, keep up with their blogs, and know whats going on in our awesome industry! Also, there are awesome online lectures and classes available to members, and college students get a free one year membership, so take advantage. And of course, go to Spring Leadership Conference! 

Camp... Masters?!
 I am currently in the process of applying for this awesome program! It's through Touro University, Nevada, and it's actually a masters program in camp. Officially the title is Masters in Camp Administration and Leadership. I will be updating you with my progress through the program, of course, assuming I am accepted (fingers crossed)! 

So maybe you cant major in camp. But you certainly can make college work towards your own camp career. Just get creative! Also, I've linked the American Camp Association and Camp Administration and Leadership Programs at the end of this blog, so check them out! 

Go State! 
Sam

The American Camp Association:
http://www.acacamps.org/

Touro University, Nevada, Masters in Camp Administration and Leadership
http://tun.touro.edu/programs/college-of-health-and-human-services/camp-administration/

No comments:

Post a Comment