Saturday, September 20, 2014

Camp Fashion: A Counselors Wardrobe

Hello to all of my fellow camp counselors!

I have been lucky enough to grow up in and be a part of a lot of different groups. I spent my school year as an actress, ice skater and cheerleader all through my childhood. Through those activities, and being an adolescent girl, I gained an appreciation for fashion. Of course the other part of my year was spent at camp, where people pride themselves on not caring what they look like, which is also awesome.

Right now I'm taking a class at my university about human adornment and behavior. It's basically discussing why we wear what we wear, or alter our bodies in any way (hair color, dieting, tanning, etc). It got me thinking a lot about camp. We do have fashion at camp. It's certainly different than I would dress in say, my weekly sorority meeting, but it has it's own trends.

Don't believe me? Are you thinking right now 'the magic of camp is that you can look like and wear whatever you want'? Imagine this scenario for a minute. It's the first day of camp. You're a long-time, teenage camper. This camp is your home. You've (wisely) shown up in old jean shorts, a tie-dyed camp shirt, and ratty tennis shoes. There is a girl in your cabin. She comes in wearing brand new True Religion shorts, a Ralph Lauren polo and boat shoes. Functionally, you are wearing the same things. She's not in a prom dress, or snow boots, and yet, it'd seem so strange to the long time camper.

So, believe me now? The real magic of camp is that she'll probably be your best friend, even though you initially may have judged her on appearances. That's the real special part of camp. And here is a secret a lot of people fail to understand about me; I'm a little bit of that girl. Yes, I wear old shorts and a t-shirt to camp, but I also do my hair and makeup before each day. Do I do them as much as I do before class? Absolutely not. But I always have a little eyeliner and mascara on, my hair is either braided or in a teased high ponytail or a sock bun (my favorite right-now hairstyle).

So back to our topic, what are trends at camp? There are some that seem to cross over all camps, and some that are unique at individual camps. Here are a few of my favorites, and by the way, they all look phenomenal with a sock bun.

Tie-Dye
There is no more universal, long standing camp trend than Tie-Dye.

Old Camp T-Shirts
Because what says "I've been here forever" better than a shirt from 2004?

Homemade Shirts
Puff paint, sharpies, spray paint.

Knee Socks
I like to mix and match, and I probably own 30 pairs. You never know what theme day they can go with

Chacos
I have to put them here, because I know counselors really like them. Real talk though, I have never (and will never) own a pair. 

Norts/Soffees/Athletic Shorts
How many colors do you own?

Toms
This was a huge thing when I was the vaulting lead at my first camp. I wrecked a pair, and they smelled worse than anything I've ever experienced. They were well loved.

Nalgene Water Bottles
Or whatever your brand of choice is (whatever is cheapest at Walmart, I lose water bottles A LOT).

Hats
 Baseball hats say: I like this sports team, I go to this school, or I drive this kind of car.
Straw hats say: I'm trying to avoid sunburning my nose off of my face this summer.
Cowboy hats say: I'm working at a ranch camp

Decorated Clip Boards
I'm a quotes/bedazzling fan, and I've seen a few really cool collages.

Dramatic Animal Shirts
I can't think of how to describe these, but you know what I'm talking about. They have wolves or running horses on a cloudy looking background, and they are FABULOUS.

Multiple Bracelets/Arm Accessories
Wearing so many silly bands, friendship bracelets and watches that your lower arm is six shades lighter than the rest of you.

So those are a few of my favorites. Comment below and tell me what you wear at your camp, or what your personal favorite camp fashion statements are! 

Don't forget your Nalgene! 
Samantha

1 comment:

  1. Out of all the camp fashion the dramtic animal shirts/sweat shirts are my favorite!! They are both equally fabulous but perfectly awful all at the same time.
    I worked at this all girls camp and the counselors are requried to wear long shorts knee length.Not going to lie it's hard to find non khaki or not hideous looking womens long shohts...needles to say basetball shorts were all the rage there.:)

    ReplyDelete