Thursday, December 11, 2014

An Ode To My Job: How Lucky Am I?

Hello to all of my fellow camp counselors and staff!

As we reach the middle of winter and I bury myself in layers, I can't help but think towards the coming summer. Certainly, I miss the warm weather. Undoubtedly, I miss not having to go to class every day. Indisputably, I miss not having to buy my own groceries (thanks mom).

But, there is something I miss more.

My Job

I never thought I would be able to say something like that. I miss my job. 

Here's the thing, I never imagined I could love doing something as much as I love my job as an assistant director. I never imagined I could love working somewhere as much as I love working at the camp I'm at. And I never imagined that I would miss it so much.

What's amazing to me is that it isn't just the easy, fun stuff I miss. Sure, dressing up for the Fourth of July is great (it's my favorite day of the summer). Of course, getting to work with some of my best friends makes every day entertaining. Yes, I love being a part of a team that becomes a family.

And those memories are wonderful. They shine bright in my mind, and take me back to warm sunny days filled with camp songs and wood chips. But there's something else I miss. 

I miss the hard stuff. I miss working through the challenges, and the frustration when things aren't going as planned. I miss when my counselors would come to me with a question that I just didn't know how to answer. 

Why? I have no idea. Maybe it's the culture of this amazing camp. Maybe it's because being there has taught me that it's okay not to know the answer. Maybe it's the bonding that happens over working through a problem with someone. Maybe it's because when things are hard, I know I have the opportunity to learn from some people that I regard as the most talented and brilliant childcare professionals out there.

I've had other jobs. I've had jobs that were hard. I've had jobs that were easy. I've had jobs that I loved, hated, and everything in between. I've missed jobs before. But never this entirely. 

And so, this one is dedicated to my camp, the camp that I have grown to love in just two short years. I never thought that a job could mean so much to me, and at such a young age. 

Thank You,
Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment