Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Lessons I've Learned From Camp

Hello to all of my fellow camp counselors!

Why does camp matter? Why does it seem to make such a huge impression on lives? Why do "camp people" think it's so important for kids to go to camp? Well I can't answer for everyone else, but for me, it all starts with the thousands of life lessons I learned at camp.

I've been going to camp for around fifteen years, and each year brings new lessons. Sometimes, I learn the same thing over and over again, and other times, one moment leaves an impression on the rest of my life.

I've split my list of things I've learned at camp into three sections, camper, teen leader, and staff. But the truth is, a lot of it overlaps. Sometimes I need to re-learn a lesson I got when I was 5.


Camper: 
  • Being yourself is cool
  • Everybody wants and deserves a good friend
  • There is nothing wrong with a little bit (or a lot) of dirt
  • If you work hard to earn something, it feels a lot better than if it was just handed to you
  • It's okay to lose and to fail
  • Ask questions
  • Keeping food in your duffle really does lead to rats peeing on your clothes
  • Trying to look cool doesn't work. Eat your spaghetti with your hands
  • The best of friends don't have to talk everyday, they just know they're there
  • Don't make judgements based on others opinions, form your own
  • You may not be the best at something. It's okay, and it doesn't make you a less valuable person
  • Bran will stain white t-shirts, but its worth it to have the bran fight
  • At camp, its goodnight, not goodbye
Teen Leadership:
  • Being a leader means more than just being in charge
  • Everyone likes a good bedtime story
  • It's hard to give up being a camper
  • Sleep > Shower
  • Camp staff have drama. Getting involved is not fun 
  • Take pictures
  • I do not work great with 7 year olds
  • Sometimes, all someone needs is for you to listen
  • Don't let the campers know you know how to french braid
  • The people you work with can become your best friends
  • Ice cream and laughter are universal. Share
Staff:
  • Sometimes, campers are very wise
  • Take time to get to know every camper that you can
  • Cabin/Group secrets and inside jokes are the best (We may or may not have brownies, happy girls are the prettiest, FRED)
  • When things don't go as planned, a sense of humor can usually save them
  • Romantic relationships that start at camp are unlike any other
  • Everyone likes Aaron Carter
  • If you get to know them, its hard not to like every one of your campers
  • Calling your campers "your kids" will confuse a lot of people
  • Sometimes, all a person needs is a hug
  • The best way to stay out of the bay on paddle boarding day is to get your campers stoked to push the other counselor in (sorry!)
  • Spend enough time with other camp staff outside of camp that you see each other as adults. Have inside jokes
  • Mornings are not functional without coffee
  • Acrylic paint NEVER comes out of hair
  • Homesick is a bad word, don't say it out loud
  • Paint your body from head to toe, let the campers make you into a human sundae, roll around in the mud, and wear your duck dynasty pants to high ropes course. 
  • Summer goes fast every year
This is just a short list of the thousands of lessons I've learned at camp. I'd love to hear what else you've learned, so shoot me an email or comment and let me know!!

Always bring extra socks,
Samantha

1 comment:

  1. All so true! Especially sleep > shower, haha. Your blog is great!

    ReplyDelete