Sunday, September 8, 2013

Things My Friends Don't Get

Hello to all of my fellow camp counselors!

Now that summer has come to its inevitable end, we camp counselors have been thrown back into that mysterious place, known as the "real world". A place where singing songs about squirrels is not a normal way to start your day. A place where two different knee high socks, crazy hair, and a thrift shop vest outfit is not greeted with the response "you look awesome"! A place that cares about how you smell.

I have long tried to explain to my friends who are not counselors what the experience is like, sharing stories and even the occasional song, but so much is lost in translation. Why can't you get how funny my kids were, or how ridiculous the other counselor looked as a human sundae? Why don't you want to repeat when I say "this is a repeat song"? Why don't you get it?

I have comprised a list of things my friends don't understand about being a camp counselor. I hope you enjoy, laugh, and most of all, empathize. Lord knows they don't.

1. My job is hard. It is exhausting, challenging, and no two days are the same.

2. When you call me a "glorified babysitter", you set my insides on fire and I have to restrain myself from ripping your eyebrows out.

3. The things my campers say are downright hilarious, and you clearly just didn't get it.

4. No, I can't stop singing those songs. I've been singing them for three months straight, and they don't just get unstuck from my head.

5. It takes me time to adjust to being around adults again, sorry.

6. The other staff I worked with were the most fun, hilarious, exceptional and inspiring people I have ever known. Excuse me if I like to talk about them.

7. We also spent a disgusting amount of time together, so I have a lot of stories to tell.

8. My tan lines are weird, stop pointing it out. It takes dedication to paint stripes on your arms, wear them into the bay, and then realize that you have tiger stripe tan lines.

9. I may have lost some adult like social skills. I will try to learn again quickly.

10. I can cook ANYTHING on a campfire now, so allow me to share with you my skill.

11. If we go to Walmart, prepare for a long trip. I've realized the glory that is, and could spend my whole life there. DON'T RUSH ME.

12. If I'm trying to get a groups attention, I have about 50 ways to do it, and they are all highly effective. Just stand there and be impressed.

13. If I meet a kid, I will immediately turn back into being a counselor. Just watch and learn.

14. Don't compare my camp experience to your babysitting experience. You spent a few hours with a child while they did their homework, I was about 40 children's world this summer. And I had no TV to sit them in front of.

15. Yes, I make up great stories to tell kids. Yes, adults like them too. Yes, I tell them at parties.

16. It was the summer of my life. It was hard, I was tired, and I often smelled weird. But I also made best friends, learned so much, and created memories that will last the rest of my life. I will try to get you to do it next summer, and you really should.

You are amazing,
Samantha

1 comment:

  1. Samantha,

    I stumbled upon your blog by accident, but I just wanted to shoot you an email to tell you how much I love it. FINALLY someone who understands.

    So thanks!

    ReplyDelete