Monday, January 7, 2013

Winter Camp and Other Non-Summer Camps

Hello to all of my fellow camp counselors!

I just got back from Winter Camp at the camp that I work at. This is a week that we have over New Years, which is run just like summer, but only for one week. It's a very special week, because usually nearly all of the campers are returners who really love camp. The week is smaller, and the counselors are usually long time staff members and people who grew up at camp. It's a lot of fun, but there are definitely some challenges.

To start with, it is FRICKEN COLD. Let me tell you this, you may think its not that cold in Southern California, but in cabins that are about fifty years old and not exactly air-tight, it may as well be the Arctic. My advise? Layer everything. Layer your bed, your clothes, your socks, your hats, EVERYTHING. I had two fitted sheets, one that was fleece, three blankets and two flat sheets. I typically slept with thermals, two pairs of socks, a tank top, a long sleeve t-shirt, a zip up sweatshirt, cover all of that with an awesome zebra print onesie, then put on sweats over the onesie, pull up all of the hoods and put a hat and some gloves on. I was toasty in bed. The only down side? If you have to go pee in the middle of the night, it takes fifteen minutes just to undress.

Another challenge can be an unusual mix of staff. Unlike summer, we don't have two weeks of training to get to know each other and all be brought to the same page. Often times, staff are from previous years, year-round staff or full-time staff. Some know each other, others don't. There may be some very close friend groups and some staff may feel like outsiders, especially if their friend from summer now has their best friend that they've known all their lives. How can you make it better? If you don't know someone, get to know them! Last wintercamp, I was lucky enough to get to know a girl who I hadn't ever met before, she became a member of my group of best friends at camp, and we got really close! I'm so glad that I was able to have an open mind and get to know her.

When it comes to having a majority of returning campers, the select first timers can be uncomfortable and feel very left out. If you have a first timer in your cabin, try to pair them up with someone who's been their for a while. Introduce them, and suggest that the long-timer give the other camper a tour! Play a game like "Never Have I Ever", or "Two Truths and a Lie", where the campers can share things about them that don't relate to camp. This way, they see what they have in common outside of camp, and the gap closes.

So that's my experience. I'm sure you all have lots of other challenges you have faced! Feel free to comment, or shoot me an email at LifeOfACampCounselor@aol.com

You are amazing!
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment